- I don’t want loyalty, I want loyalty. I want him to kiss my ass in Macy’s window at high noon and tell me it smells like roses. I want his pecker in my pocket.
[LBJ quoted by David Halberstam in The Best and the Brightest (1972)]
- I greet you as the shapers of American society.
- I report to you that our country is challenged at home and abroad: that it is our will that is being tried and not our strength; our sense of purpose and not our ability to achieve a better America.
- I shall never forget the faces of the boys and the girls in that little Welhausen Mexican School, and I remember even yet the pain of realizing and knowing then that college was closed to practically every one of those children because they were too poor. And I think it was then that I made up my mind that this nation could never rest while the door to knowledge remained closed to any American.
[ On signing the Higher Education Act of 1965 (8 November 1965)]
- I want to make a policy statement. I am unabashedly in favor of women. (On appointing 10 women to top government positions)
- I will do my best. That is all I can do. I ask for your help — and God’s.
Still working on it.